thanks for the stories
mo, veeda, and sarah: thanks for the comments you left on my last post about your families and your experience. it made my lesson in r.s. go much more smoothly being able to relate something that i know happens with other faithful members.
the sisters were really grateful for my "new, young" perspective. i think this will be a good calling for me. i can certainly learn a lot from all of them, all of you, and of myself to help strengthen my own family in the gospel. it definitely is a step up from teaching in a singles ward at byu, because the women were much more interested in what i had to say and actually commented. i used to hear the sounds of sleep-breathing when i taught, which was always so frustrating.
as for sister beck's talk last sunday in conference, i certainly can benefit from the concept of at least striving to be a better homemaker, mother, and wife. i just hope that we, as women and sisters in the gospel, must realize too is that there is hope in the challenges that come about if you are not able to accomplish the "ideal" homemaker, mother, and wife. we are here to be tested, and we are here to work. the most important part of it all is to do what is right always, and the blessings will come....we just have to be patient and know where to look.
8 comments:
I wish I could have been at your lesson today. seriously. And I appreciated your comments and everyone else's comments about that certain talk. I didn't quite know what to think afterwards.
But don't you just think that Elder Eyring is great! I loved his talk. I wrote in my journal today for the first time in 2 years. -eva
eva! girl, i miss you! thanks for visiting my blog.
yes, elder eyring really (as some may say) hit it home. i know sister beck was inspired by the spirit and called of the prophet, and we should support her. part of just wishes that all of our female leaders could be open to the oddities and challenges of our lives and invite women to be supportive and work together to strenghen one another in the gospel where others may not be able to.
It sounds like you gave a great lesson. I actually miss the R.S. lessons...I've been in Y.W. and primary for the past two years. So for me, conference was nice because I got to hear something geared towards women.
I'm glad all went well Amanda. I bet it is intimidating to preach to the choir. I would certainly feel that way. I love that family wards outside of Utah, it's very refreshing.
i agree, mo, family wards outside of utah are much more in tune with what "real" families are like. i almost felt the same way about the family and single wards in california when i lived there.
veeda, it was nice to be called back into relief society. i, too, was in primary and young women when i moved into my family ward here in minneapolis. primary was good birth control (haha), and yw was fun but loud. all of our girls were so great, though, so i was bummed to be out of their classes.
Amandas! I think you're going to be an awesome RS teacher. A couple months ago I got called as the 2nd counselor in the RS. Yes... me, Suzy. That's how desperate our ward is ;). I teach my first lesson on Fast Sunday in Nov and I've been freaking out since July. I'm going to teach about having a sense of humor to achieve balance in life... or something.
Anyhow, sometimes I wish I was back in the painful Sunbeam class. Oh well. Miss you lots!
Back again. I didn't actually hear the talk during conference, so I just read it real quick b/c you sparked my interest.
I think she had good points, but she put them pretty bluntly. The part that bugged me at first was about how we all need to have children and not to wait. Now that I have Lucas, I know what blessing they are, but I also know that there are definitely people who should not have children, and I am glad hat I waited as long as I did to have a baby. Some people need to mature a lot before having kids... I think if people wait longer and mature more, they can be better mothers. I think I have a better temper, more patience now than I would have when I was 21.
That whole thing about the kids dressed to the nines. First of all - kids shouldn't have to have a missionary haircut until they are a missionary... as long as it's not ugly. Lets allow some spiking, gelling, and cuteness! I think it is really hard for some mom's to get all 8 boys dressed with ironed shirts. Ben rarely has an ironed shirt - just a fresh out of the dryer, wrinkle-free shirt. I think a mom can teach the kids how to help with the ironing.
We have this woman in our ward with 6 boys. Her first was born when she was 16. I can't imagine! Anyhow, she rarely gets all 6 to church (hubby is inactive) because she can't handle them all, so she leaves the youngest at home, but I think that will come back to bite her eventually. Now they've all been missing for weeks b/c by the time Sunday gets around they are too tired from all that Texas Football.
Anyhow... I just think some people have a few too many kids and I know that sounds mean, but in some cases the oldest kids or youngest kids don't get enough attention.
I'll stop now. Please don't send complaint letters. Kisses.
it's true suzy, everyone's circumstances are different and sometimes the trials are more than one person can bear. i don't want to make excuses for slacking or not teaching your children to be helpful or have strong testimonies, but there are times when i think it is okay for all of us to ask of each other. that is what relief society, visiting teachers, home teachers, bishops, friends, family are for. i'm a believer of extending your family beyond your own (within your home). that is what makes our church and our gospel so wonderful, in my opinion.
Post a Comment