teaching english abroad
so pete is applying to mba school soon, but he and i are feeling the travel bug too. we're interested in teaching english abroad, but we're undecided on where we want to go. we have to make enough money to survive there with a baby, plus be able to pay for stuff here still (house stuff). does anyone have any good connections abroad?
*i'd really like to go to japan to rekindle my language skills, but we are open to anything. let us know.
9 comments:
I don't have any connections abroad, but I vote you come back to Utah for school. And, yes. I'm totally serious.
my mom might in japan. i'll ask.
veeda, byu is on pete's list for mba school. the price is right, and we love utah. we'll see what happens with his next test date.
mo, that would be cool.
YAY! I would love us to be neighbors.
Come teach English in Idaho. We speak a strange dialect that is close to English, kind of like Spanish and Italian. As for money, we deal in Wampum here, and I am not familiar with wampum/dollar exchange rates.
hmm...i'm pretty sure i can't even get firewater with wampum these days.
hmm ryan and pete both looked at the jet program while they were at byu..they were single at the time and I don't know if that is a requirment or not, but Jet was the reputable one provo kids took to japan.
so, here's what my mom said, JET is the best program, because you get paid the most. Only one of you can teach, in the couple situation, and they pick couples last. You do have to have a bachelor's degree. The next deadline is Feb. 1st of next year. You get paid at the end of the duration, but you don't pay for housing, taxes, and you do have to pay $130 a month for...I forget, but that gets reimbursed at the end. I think you get about $30,000 for the whole year that you do it. My mom thinks that JET also puts you in places that are pretty cool and they treat the employees the best. I hope that helps in your decision making.
Mo
thanks mo and everyone else. i looked at jet and a few other programs, and we're not sure we will go unless pete doesn't get into school. we only want to go for 6 months, and most programs require a year minimum. if we went to the country and knocked on a door, we may be able to get a shorter stint. but...we may also get ripped off too. so we're going to hold out in the u.s. for now and see what other things we can do. and maybe just plan a cool vacation instead.
Post a Comment