Tuesday, August 05, 2008

united noodle, i love you

i went on an expedition for straws and syrups for bubble tea (a.k.a. boba). i've only been to a few asian markets in the twin cities, and there are a lot. my all-time favorite is united noodle company in the downtown area, because they are ginormous and have everything for japanese, thai, korean, chinese, and filipino cuisine. they even had frozen siaopao (sp?), which is the filipino version of a meat-filled dumpling. no offense to the chinese, but the pinoys do it better.

anyway, i found my straws. i didn't get the powder or any syrup, because i want to do it fruit smoothie style sans dairy. i'm so excited, i just can't hide it...!

here are a couple sites that have recipes on them:

www.bubbleteasupply.com
www.bubbleteastore.com

i'll post later how my concoctions come out.

4 comments:

The Human Fund said...

All that talk about Asian markets REALLY made me miss the food I used to eat back in the day at your house. The homemade Filipino food, not the rice krispie treats or brownies (even though those rocked, too). I would kill for some lumpia.

Michelle said...

oh yummy i love boba teas and filipino dumplings!

Barbie said...

Ahh, Lumpia. The days! I still have your recipe for pancit and that custard cake in my collection. I think I'll have to make them w/some boba tea for my boys sometime. What a great idea to do dairy free...then Ethan could have it! Could you please report on how it turns out and share any tips for the perfect dairy free boba? :)

Eva / Sycamore Street Press said...

i am excited for this! and in i know that the place i used to get it in slc used potato based milk - so creamy style, but no dairy. the hazelnut flavor was really good.