Friday, September 05, 2008

GMAT Questions



Is there anyone else out there studying for the GMAT or is smart enough to know how to solve these problems? I was studying an old GMAT test and I have no idea how they got the answers to these problems. If anyone knows, please comment with an explanation, or email me with an explanation. It's like when you see a movie and you kind of recognize an actor, and unless you know who it is it gets under your skin...that's like not knowing how to solve these...its really buggin me.

Please Help

Pete - petefaleschini@gmail.com

P.S. I'm sure when someone points out the how and why i will feel pretty dumb for not knowing, but whatever...

10 comments:

The Human Fund said...

The answer to number fourteen is E) 20. I can't possibly give you an explanation that will make sense; my bad. My scribbling notes make no sense to me, but I double-checked with my brother, who is a GA Tech graduate and he assured me that I somehow came up with the correct answer.
For some dorky reason, I'm working on the others now...

pete said...

i have the answers from the answer sheet, but its the process of how to get there...see if you can sort through your notes and tell me how you did it. What was the process you used to get the answer?

The Human Fund said...

Gotcha. I am actually emailing my brother because my notes seriously make no sense. When I do some problems it's as if I do them backwards or something. Others that I do make sense. And others I just don't know...

But, I'm bored...

On the triangle problem, IF the answer is B, then here is how I got it (if not, my bad...it's been many years):

1. Since the hypotenuse is y and y squared is 2, then y is the square root of y, or y = sqroot 2

2. Similarly, y/2 miles becomes sqrt 2/2 miles

3. To get the length of the other side, you have to use A-squared + B-squared = C-squared.

4. To help me through the rest of this, I did away with the Y's and stuck with A,B,C

5. So, C=sqroot2 B=sqroot2/2 and we don't know what A is

6. Now, you square the things that you DO know (B and C) and you get:
A-squared + 2/4 = 2

7. Solve for A and you get A = sqroot 1 1/2

8. So, now you know all three sides of the triangle. Really, you just needed to know the measurement of the base of the triangle to find the area.

9. The formula to find the area is:
Area= 1/2(base) * (height)

10. So, the base (C) is sqroot 1 1/2 and the height is sqroot 2/2

11. Multiply and then simplify those and you get sqroot 3/4

I really hope that's right or I've just spent a lot of time convincing myself otherwise. :-)

pete said...

no. that's right. I did all those steps. I must have miscalculated somewhere.Aarrg...

pete said...

Ohh my gosh...I was miscalculating a stupid fraction in there...I want to stab myself in the face...

Thanks for the help. I get #16. Now if i can just figure out the process for 15 I think I will be in good shape

Brooke said...

This is Ryan's wife Brooke. I was just wondering if you stabbed yourself in the face yet. If so, please post pics. Thanks.

pete said...

Yes. Pic's coming soon....

The Human Fund said...

Okay, I think I figured out my notes for the first problem because I couldn't get in touch with my brother via email. He's here in town, but he's helping Cliff with some stuff. Here goes:

You have 2/x + 3/y = 4

Multiply both sides by x to get:
2 + 3x/y = 4x

Multiply both sides by y to get:
2y + 3x = 4xy

Now you already know that xy = 5. If that's true, then 4xy translates to 4(5) which is 20.

Hurray!

pete said...

yes yes yes. Got it!

Brady said...

Pete, What's up?? Hey, I worked on these problems for about an hour last night with my roommate. (We're both studying for the GMAT as well). We got the answers to two of them but dang they're harder than they look. Good call with posting the questions on the blog. Lata!