Wednesday, February 18, 2009

my first amigurumi

so i'm kind of a terrible knitter, but i decided after seeing a few books on handmade yarn toys, that i wanted to make izzy some of her own plush toys. i'm not a huge fan of baby dolls, but izzy loves babies. i figured i would try to get her to love animals by making her some amigurumi animals, but i needed to learn how to crochet. i borrowed a book from the library (kyuuto: amigurumi) and asked my awesome friend, jenni, to help me handle the hook.

here is the little guy that i made for izzy:


he's a little imperfect. i think his eyes are a little crooked and a bit small for his giant head, but that's okay. izzy likes him, and he will probably get lots of slobber for a long time. i'll have to make her more animals, especially since i have a giant bin of yarn that i have been collecting for a few years.

also, i turned 30 yesterday. i used to think that 30 was so old, but the older i get the less i think the age i am is "old." i'll probably be 70 and think how young i still am. or at least, that's how i hope to feel.

here is me at age 30 with izzy bea.

13 comments:

Suzy said...

That's amazing!! Good job, you hot 30-year-old!

Anonymous said...

Happy late birthday Amanda! And great job on that little toy. How fun.

McKelle said...

I'm impressed! That little bear is so cute. Also, happy birthday! Hope you had a good day. I'll be 30 in April, and totally agree that I don't feel like it's that old.

Katy said...

That is a super cute bear! I want to learn!

Sarah BTW said...

very cute, and i don't see any flaws at all. i love that it has little eyes and a giant head. color me impressed.

sarah said...

i can't believe you made that! i'm definitely lacking in the craft category.

maybe i'll give crocheting a try.

Eva / Sycamore Street Press said...

darn! i missed your b-day! (i also missed my sister in law's b-day this month if it makes you feel any better.) well, happy big 3-0! i'll be there in less than a year, too.

p.s. you, and izzy, and your amigurumi are all adorable.

amanda said...

sarah, it was actually really easy. i was a little surprised. i get super frustrated sometimes when i am knitting, and so i finish very few projects. i never crocheted before this, and my friend jenni was able to walk me thru the basic steps and give me a lowdown on how to read the pattern. after that, i was good to go.

the picture i am showing is probably the bear's best angle. that's probably why none of you can see his lopsided head and crooked eyes. i'm feeling inspired to make more for my lil' girl and possibly as gifts for others too.

katy, i can show you for sure. i don't know if i would be the best teacher, but i could do my best.

The Human Fund said...

Again, I hope your birthday rocked!

And, um, yeah, I SO want one of those knit animals. Hell yeah. That is something I would love to do, but I would probably start it and then slack off due to lack of time or energy. So, if you go crazy making them...hook it up!

Momoko Photography said...

I'm so behind at checking out blogs lately. so happy belated birthday, and the toy is soooo cute. I'm going to make toys now. I have to.

Barbie said...

Awwww! Happy belated Amanda!! Sweet little izzy looks like you in the photo of her with a big smile on your most recent post. Love your outlook on 30. Yeah, is it me or do all the high school kids look like babies these days??? Seriously! I haven't changed at ALL! :) Great little crochet toy too. How inspiring you are. Knitting is one of my 2009 goals but I haven't picked up my yarn yet. Anyway Happy DAY cute lady!

Barbie said...

Thanks for the crib rail tips Amanda! That snot picture is so gross! Rich and Aimee posted detailed photos of a blow out for their first girl. Those are worse of course. Funny how all these bodily functions are documentable when they come from our babies (is that a word? i think not...)

Momoko Photography said...

Amanda,
The South Beach does work well and you see results fast, but while nursing I wouldn't do the first phase. If you did the phase three of the diet and ate the foods recommended for it, you should see results. Also, since you are nursing and when the weather gets better, walk. My friend lost a ton of weight while nursing, just by walking. She walks about three to five miles and eats healthy, but doesn't eat super diety and looks fabulous. I didn't lose my last fifteen pounds until I quit nursing which was when Asher turned a year. I didn't quit nursing to lose weight, but when I did quit I was able to work out harder. Anyway, super long note, but in a nut shell, be careful with the South beach, because it is so effective in a short amount of time.