the uniform project
i first read about this in the recent glamour magazine. (yes, i read glamour. i've been getting it in the mail, so why not? i hope i don't have to pay for it later, because i don't know how it has been coming to my address.)
anyway, this talented and adorable indian girl, Sheena Matheiken, came up with this idea called "the uniform project" which is raising money for uniforms and educational expenses for children living in the slums of india. she's raised over $13,000 so far in only a few months, which is pretty awesome.
the premise of her project is to wear 7 identical black dresses for a whole year, and each day will look different depending on what item of clothing or accessory she pairs with it. it's a sort of sustainable way of dressing yourself, you might say. a lot of the "extra" items, she is buying on super sale, getting at thrift stores or getting hand-me-downs from people helping to support her cause. i don't have the courage to pull of her style anymore, but i totally love a lot of these looks. she has some great inspiration for me, as i wallow in my fashion rut. here are some of my favorites:




5 comments:
i love the look in the last picture. i wish i could pull that off.
I like her name. Sounds hot.
nice one, jake.
When I got home from the mission, I had kind of lost all sense of "style". So, I had this great idea to buy the following wardrobe:
- 7 plain white t-shirts
- 7 pairs of khakis (Gap or AE)
- 3 pairs of black Converse
- 3 or 4 pairs of khaki shorts
- 3 or 4 hoodies
I never did. I wasn't brave enough I guess. I am now wishing I would have.
Maybe I still should...
oh man, this is so clever. it makes me want to dress better. and get a little black dress of my own.
Post a Comment