it's not because she's asian
so my poor baby girl had to go into the hospital this past friday, because her bilirubin levels went up from when she (and i) were discharged the prior wednesday. for those who don't know what bilirubin is, here goes:
basically, it's a pigment that is released when your red blood cells break down in your body. your liver is supposed to help release or rid your body of this excess pigment in your body, but with many newborns their livers are still a bit immature. thus, you get yellow babies or jaundice. for cases like izzy's and worse, they prescribe phototherapy to help induce the breakdown of the bilirubin. in essence, it just comes out in their poo/pee.
all of this put my emotions over the top. not only had i no time to recover from delivery, but i had no time to let my nerves and sleep-deprived body chill from all the worry of being a new mom. doing her blood work and hearing her scream and then seeing her probed and put under lights and being told to not pick her up too much was so heartbreaking for me. thankfully, pete and our family are close by and gave us much support.
she's all better now, but here are a couple of pics of izzy's ordeal. btw, she was so good under the bili lights and didn't cry as much as i thought she would. some idiot engineer swindled the hospital and sold them these terrible eye goggles that kept falling off, and i was pissed. thankfully, a wonderful nurse came by and brought a handy solution to keep them on.
she was so good here. we had to give her the pacifier only a few times when her diaper needed changing or when the nurses came in to check her vitals.
pete and i slept over at the hospital on friday night and stayed all day on saturday. this was our nightlight--our baby girl being illuminated like a little alien.
this is my girl at home in her crib being watched over by her ninja kitty that my friend, jenni, made for her. she looks super yellow here, because the lights are dim and the room is painted yellow. and...because she is asian.
all in all, she's been great. good eater. good pooper. deliciously cute. now, i just gotta get her to figure out when people are supposed to sleep.
6 comments:
Yeah! I'm the first to comment! I do have to say she is pretty dang cute. Call me if you need anything but sleep...What's that??? You may not know what that is for a LOOOONNNNG time. don't worry...It's all worth it. Hope we can make it on Thursday. Ethan suggested bringing pizza over for dinner before basketball. Let us know if you are up for that. Oh yeah....and if we come over on Thursday can I take some pix for my portfolio. I have a new prop I would like to try out.
Poor baby. I'm so sorry you guys had to go through that! I don't know if I could have handled that right after Lucas was born... I was a freakin mess, and no one warns you about that part! Get some sleep whenever possible. You guys are troopers!
Oh man, I have only slept through the night once in the past year. I hope yours is better.
mo
Poor little girl. Gwen had some problems like that, but didn't have to do that. I wish I had some advice for the sleeping, but Gwen still doesn't sleep through the night, and she's 2.
Tom told me once about how you had to sit in front of a fake sun lamp like that. For some reason, the idea of you sitting their holding a lamp makes me laugh. Also, that baby is deadly cute.
it wasn't me sitting in front of a lamp like this. it was my freshman roommate and her cabin fever thing. she woke me up at 5 every morning with a light as bright as the sun.
and yes, my baby is cute. i fear for her future with boys. pete might end up buying a gun.
Post a Comment