Monday, April 27, 2009

I love the NBA



I love the NBA. Love it! I love it so much i want to take it back behind the middle school and get it pregnant (If any ward members see this that is a 30 Rock reference and I stand by my statement.) Some of you may skip this this blog entry since you don't care or like the NBA and if that's the case, You are Dead to ME!

For the past year we have been cable free. We have rabbit ears so we can watch the regular network TV shows and catch some local news. But the NBA playoffs started a couple of weeks ago and I was jonesing so bad to watch the games I ordered cable. My wife does not approve and I know she doesn't understand my obsession with a game that requires a ball to go through the net more times than the other team to win the game, and I wish I could explain it to her but I can't. The only analogy that might make sense is to compare a basketball game to a new episode of Lost. Imagine if you will that 2-4 brand new episodes of Lost were on every night, each episode reeling you further and further into the stories and lives of the characters and revealing secrets about the Island and the onging rivalry between Benjamin Linus and Charles Widmore. Maybe you would find about Ben's true intentions, or how it is that the island can jump through time....I would want to watch them.

And just to make this blog entry a tad controversial, NBA basketball is a million times better than college basketball. It just is. This first round series between Boston and Chicago is more thrilling, more suspensful, and more barn burning than any college game from this last years tournament. It just is. It's a fact, and facts are facts. I know I know the old tired idea that NBA players don't care and they don't try. I call BS on this argument. If you believe this ridiculous line of thinking, you don't watch the NBA. And you especially don't watch or have not watched Kevin Garnett or Dwayne Wayde's career or this first round of the NBA playoffs.

So there you go. For all you Jazz fans, I'm sorry to say they will probably lose tonight. They just don't have enough to eek out another win against the Lakers and if Ronnie Brewer keeps taking jump shots i think i might strangle him.

Pete

7 comments:

amanda said...

really, it's not so much the game. it's the zombie-like trance that comes over pete when he watches game and tv period. i feel like only an ekg machine could wake him or tear him away from the boob tube sometimes.

pete said...

that might be true if it really were a boob tube...

Ryan and Annalyn said...

A tube filled with...BOOBIES!

Jts22 said...

Peter... I am your friend. I love you. Thus, I recommend you read "Fans of The World Unite." Will blow your mind! Their schpeal, basically, is that all american sports leagues are monopolies that are exploiting fandom- exploring the economic and legal breakdown of monopoly power in sports. Really good. It will explain why you secretly hate all American sports leagues. It is for your own good my friend.

http://www.sup.org/book.cgi?id=11178

Jts22 said...

...and yes, I love professional sports. So, basically I am allowing myself to be exploited. Which makes me feel very little.

The Human Fund said...

I actually really like basketball, but I only like it live. I need to be able to see the whole picture and be able to choose for myself what I'm looking at. It's really the only live sport I like and maybe the only televised sport I like.

Football is on my s-list. I just can't stand it. It's this primal hatred. Throwing a football is cool and fun, but the game has lost its...essence.

Jen of fuzfrenzy said...

My favorite part of the post is the reference to 30 Rock :)

I love foxy boxing because it involves two of my favorite things. Boxing and Referees!