Monday, March 16, 2009

MBA Update, the government, etc...

MBA UPDATE:

This last week Amanda, Izzy and I went to Utah because I was invited to interview at BYU for their MBA program and.....drum roll please, dadadadadadadadad...I got in! So far I have been accepted to ASU, BYU, Indiana University, and U of Illinois. I am still waiting to hear from U of Texas, and I am still waiting to hear from U of MN for even an interview invitiation. I don't know why they are so slow. I did apply to Texas A & M...i guess I will tell the story.

They called me back a few days after my interview and wanted to ask me a few more questions. I guess they thought I was to vague as to exactly what kind of job I wanted after graduation and what kind of company I want to start in maybe 10 years. I am thinking of studying supply chain (operations, logistics, manufacturing) but I don't know exactly what kind of job I want yet. That is kind of what school is for, right? To figure what aspect of supply chain might fit what I like. And how am I supposed to know what kind of company I want to start in 10 years? With the economy in shambles, who could predict what the next 10 years will bring, and what will be going on in 10 YEARS? (I just said that "10 years" like Jeremy Piven in Gross Point Blank when he is driving with John Cusack. If you have never seen this movie you should unless you don't watch rated R movies.) So T. A & M wanted me to write another essay and i kindly declined and asked them to pully my application. I guess they are looking for a specific kind of student, and I don't think I fall into that profile. Se la vie!

I am super happy with the schools I got into and now we have to make a decision. We have to wait a few weeks for the official paperwork to come in from BYU and Indiana to see what financial aid packages they offer. We'll let you know.

While we were in Utah, we stayed with our Friends Jake and Sheena. They are awesome. Thanks so much for having us. Also, we were treated to some dilectable cupcakes from our friends Ange and Craig. They have their own bakery (http://www.thechocolatedc.com/) I highly recommend it.

THE GOVERNMENT:

So Amanda and I have an ongoing feud with the government right now (Well the company is called Benecomp. I am not sure if its an actual part of the gov. or some third party they hire out to deal with these accounts) and this morning it got pretty ugly. So before Izzy was born, Amanda opened one of those flex savings account where they take money out of your paycheck. The money can only go towards daycare expenses. So anyway we opened the account, and then before Amanda quit we faxed them all the information they needed to cut us a check and reimburse us for some daycare expenses. This was back in August of last year. So far, the check has not come. We have called them I don't know how many times now. They have told us multiple times that a check was in the mail. I guess they sent it to our old address. So Amanda called them to update the address. They said they got it and they would send a new check out. But they didn't. She called them again, and they said they would send a new check. They didn't. So finally i got involved.

For those of you who know me, I am pretty laid back. But for those of you who know me, I can get pretty fired up. It takes a while. It's like one of those bombs from the looney tunes cartoons with a super long wick on it, but then BOOM! So I call Benecomp. I explain what's going on. The lady there says she will take care of it. Apparently they still have our old address in the system. There are no notes attached from Amanda's calls as to what's been going on. She said she will manually enter the address and send a check. I call her the next Monday. The check is in the mail she says. I checked and it was cut on Friday she says. So I call her last week. The check was cut she says. Its in the mail she says. So I call her today. Here is the transcript more or less:

benecomp: Oh. It looks like Amanda quit in August right?

Pete: Yes

benecomp: Well she is claiming expenses after she quit.

Pete: No. Don't you have the invoice we faxed. The charges are for May, June and July. How is it when I talked to you last week the check was in the mail but I call you today and there is no check.

benecomp: Oh we stopped payment on the check. We need to investigate this a little further. We need to make sure everything is correct.

Pete: How is it that you have had 6 months to look into this and only now, after you tell me a check has been sent that only now something needs to be looked at?

benecomp: Well we need to talk to Regis and to Amanda.

Pete: Its been 6 months. Don't you have Amanda's phone #? If you need to talk to her, why don't you call her. Its been 6 months!!!

benecomp: What is her phone #?

Pete: You are the most incompetent organization I have ever dealt with in my life. I can't believe how completely terrible you are and how awful you are at your job. You better start this investigation today. I am going to call you every day, 5 times a day until you get this taken care of.

benecomp: OK.

This is pretty accurate. I did not swear ( I wanted to). And I did not yell. But holy hell I am pissed off. I am still pissed off. I am going to call her again this afternoon. And I am going to call 10 times a day. I will not be walked all over and lied to by a bunch of bafoons!! I will fight the good fight!!

Can you take a government agency to small claims court? Or sue them? I feel like they are stealing my money and it really really really pisses me off!


Anyway, that's all folks,

Pete

5 comments:

Craig said...

Wow...what a terribly incompetent company/organization... Those kind of situations piss me off to no end. Try the BBB, we got an ugly situation resolved very quickly by complaining on the Better Business Bureau.

McKelle said...

Congratulations on getting accepted to all of those schools...of course we'd love to have you guys here in UT.

amanda said...

i called benicomp again, and i left a message on the girl's voicemail (that pete talked to) that i wanted a call back right away or i would talk to her supervisor. amazing how quickly she reacted when i said that. turns out that they are totally dumb and did not communicate what we needed to do to make it right and just fed us a bunch of crap. i don't know why they thought we would stop calling if we never got our money.

Sarah BTW said...

congrats on getting into byu! that's so exciting that you guys have your pick of schools, although i'm sad that none of them are near us. well, if you end up in utah i'm sure we'll end up visiting at some point.

Eva / Sycamore Street Press said...

i hate organizations like that. it's the worst thing to have to deal with and such a complete waste of time. i'm sorry. on the brighter side, congrats on getting into so many schools. of course, i am still rooting for byu, since it guarantees me the chance to actually meet miss izzy.