Saturday, March 07, 2009

Movies & Music

So lately I have been flying and driving around the grand old USA and thus a lot of time has been spent sitting, flying or driving. Most of that time my Ipod has been sending some type of sound into my eardrums. Usually, I listen to a lot of audio books, but during the other times, I throw my Ipod onto shuffle mode and let the good times roll. Even when the Ipod is on shuffle, I will still skip songs that come on, but I thought I would jot down a few songs that have come up lately that no matter how many times I have heard them before I will listen to them.

1. Babylon - David Gray - David Gray is one of those artists that I don't think about that often, but when he happens into my listening playlist, I always think "I should listen to David Gray more often I really like his music"

2. Please Forgive Me - David Gray

3. John Wayne Gacy Jr. - Sufjan Stevens - This is one of the most beautifl songs. I know its about a serial killer, but I can't help but like it.

4. Glenn Tipton - Sun Kil Moon - I really really like Sun Kil Moon ( Mark Kozelek). His voice makes me feel nostalgic no matter which song I am listening to.

5. Sweet Carolina - Ryan Adams - Another song I like by Ryan Adams is "When the Stars go Blue". A lot of other people have sang this song, no one knows Ryan Adams wrote this song and his version is way better than any other pretenders. Just thought I would put that out there.

6. La Cienega Just Smiled - Ryan Adams

7. High & Dry - Radiohead - This is the song that led me to radiohead back in 96.

8. Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd. I know I know. A little cliche right? But they don't make songs like this one anymore. And isn't the fact that I won't skip it a testament to how awesome it is? If you don't know this, the guitar part between the first verse and the second verse, Roger Waters (I think) is actually singing with the guitar solo. Its more apparant in the live version (PULSE) than on the album. But I think its pretty cool.

9. Shine on You Crazy Diamond - Pink Floyd

10. Wild Montana Skies - John Denver - I love John Denver. I grew up listening to him and I have never been able to shake my love for his music. This song especially breaks my heart every time I listen to it. Plus the harmonies are stupendous.

11. Ida - Track #14. - I have no idea what this song by Ida is called. It was on some CD that Amanda has but no labels. Here is how it starts "Like glass, shattering in a clean break..." If anyone knows what this song is called, I would greatly appreciate it.

12. Various Stages - Great Lake Swimmers

13. Freedom 90 - George Michael - Um...yeah....

14. Mad World - Gary Jules - The montage from Donnie Darko that uses this song is one of my favorite creative montages of all time. The song just nails it.

15. Chemicals Collide - Cloud Cult - Beautious.

16. Redemptions Son - Joseph Arthur

17. Homesick - Kings of Convenience

18. Read My Mind - The Killers - So here's the the thing with the Killers. I dont like all their songs, but if do like one of their songs, I could liste to it 1000 times and not get tired of it. Like when I play guitar hero, all I want to play is When We Were Young.

There are some others, but this is just the stuff that has popped in lately.


On to the next section. Underrated movies.

Here a few movies I have watche lately that I thoroughly enjoyed, but I don't know if they have gotten much buzz.

Hot Fuzz - Done by the same guys as Shawn of the Dead. Hot Fuzz is one of the funniest movies ever made. Super entertaining.

Stardust - Just watched this today.

Man on Fire - This is older, but I was thinking about it lately. I love revenge movies. Amanda will attest to this. I guess I just wish that some of the injustices of the world could be exorcised here instead of in the next life. If I were sitting on a jury of some guy that killed the dude who raped or killed his child, I would vote not guilty, regardless of what the law says. But that's just me....

5 comments:

Suzy said...

The same thing happens every time I hear David Gray.
I think the Ida song is "Shotgun."
Sorry to hear you weren't a huge fan of UT. We still want you guys to move to Austin, though.

Anonymous said...

I agree totally with your Killers philosophy. And I've never heard of Hot Fuzz but Matt and I will check it out.

Jts22 said...

I happen to really enjoy the killers. I hope that we can still be friends. Have not seen stardust... it's on my list of things to do before I die.

Running Chick Mis said...

So funny, I think that Amanda have had this conversation several times.

Here are some to check out;
Tidal Wave- David Gray (Lost Songs Album)
Syrup & Honey-Duffy
Best for Last-Adele
High School Never Ends-Bowling for soup
Sukie in the Graveyard-Belle & Sabastion

I also saw a huge lake of Arcade Fire on your list.

I also rewatched "King of Kong" So funny!

The Human Fund said...

Amanda clearly married me in male form. Seriously. You and I have ridiculously similar tastes.

I hardly ever meet anyone who really likes David Gray. That man's music is awesome. I loved the other music on your list as well, but the David Gray was shocking because I never hear anyone say that.

Hot Fuzz. Fan-freakin'-tastic. Ditto Man on Fire. I would also vote Not Guilty on any person who killed a guy that clearly raped/killed that person's child. I mean, that killing was a public service and the personal revenge was highly justified. Give the guy his moment.