To sell or not to sell?
so pete and i moved this past weekend, and we both realized we have way too much stuff. some of it, i really don't understand why we have it. i think some of it was sentimental. some of it was stuff we never got a chance to sort through before we moved the last couple of times. and the other part are probably gifts that we kept for a "grace period" so we wouldn't have to explain where they went to the person who gave them to us. you all know what i am talking about.
anyway, i have come across a personal dilemma. it goes back to the sentimentality of things. i have a lot of cds that i have purchased and collected, per se, and am having a hard time deciding to sell them still. even though i have an ipod and a mac and all that stuff. it's the artwork and thinking about all the times i listened to that cd. where i was. what i was doing. who i was with. whatever. even the great lengths i went to in finding about the band or shopping for the cd at the store.
but...i never touch them now. i buy them. upload them. and then they sit and collect dust. there have been 2 or 3 times over the past 3 years where i have actually grabbed a physical cd and put it into a cd player (mostly a car that i am borrowing, renting). so...yeah.
my question is should i/should i not sell them?
i could make a good penny for a lot of them, and then i could buy other cool things. why is this hard? someone help me?!
9 comments:
I have thought about this problem exactly many times. I have hundreds of CDs that are a major pain to move and store but- I cannot get rid of them because I think, what if something happened to my computer and I had to replace all of my music files? How would I replace them? (I don't have backup) and I still buy CDs because I love them- not as much as vinyl, but that is harder to upload. I say hold on to them, then you can have proof for your kids that they used to exist.
we ended up upgrading our mac at one point, so we had to transfer files over. some of the music wasn't recognized for some reason on the new mac. so, i had to upload a few of them again. it was weird and annoying.
i guess it is one of the few things i collect. i'm not ready to even think about doing it with our dvd collection.
so that is one for keeping? anyone else?
sarah has not only a huge collection of cds, but also 2 rubbermaid bins full of cassette tapes. i keep begging her to sell them but she just can't do it.
i say replace everything with vinyl, that way you have the artifact and it actually has charm and beauty (not to mention the obvious digital vs. analog debate), and get rid of all of the cds that just take up space and never get used.
the only problem with vinyl is that i don't know that i can find everything that i have in vinyl. plus, vinyl just seems more fragile and a bit larger than cds.
i think sarah probably feels that when the martians take over that we will go back to tape players, because that is what will be left in the gomi piles. no?
no, tapes are just so cute and little. i love that they fit in the palm of my hand. and also that very few others love them the way i do.
I too love tapes passionately but I don't have very many.
tapes are dumb!
sorry sarah. pete is a heckler. he does it with me all the time, and he doesn't even need a crowd to hide behind.
i'm not heckling. I think tapes are dumb. And that, as they say, is that.
Post a Comment