Sunday, January 27, 2008

childbirth classes?

since so many friends/readers have had kids, i need some advice.

i am a little over 6 months now, and i haven't signed up for childbirth classes yet. pete is totally willing to go with me, but for some reason, i am unsure of whether to take them and what is important. sure, it is different for everyone...but i would love your experiences or feedback.

6 comments:

Suzy said...

I didn't go to any childbirth classes. I went to one "movie night" at the hospital where they showed a couple movies, but no real classes where I learned how to breath, etc. And I went on a tour of the hospital with an awesome L&D nurse, and he ended up being my nurse the day Lucas was born. He taught me to breath nice and slow and it really helped. Ben kept saying, "Baby, you look like a Zen master..." and I kind of wanted to smack him, but it was all just fine in the end.
I do think it would be fun to have a little class just to understand everything... dilating and all that junk, but I don't think a real birthing class is necessary. You can get it all in books.

Becca said...

when i asked my doctor about taking a class, he said that it would be a better to spend my time learning about what to do with the baby once it's born and home and you don't have a staff of nurses helping you out. so, i didn't take a class, but i agree with suzy that it would have been nice to know more about dilating and thinning and stuff. your doctor should be able to tell you where to go in the hospital, but it can't hurt to take a tour before hand. when you are having the baby, you'll have the doctor and nurses to tell you what to do and how to breath and push. if you are having an epidural, you probably won't even need that much breathing help. i think the breathing thing is just to keep YOU calm.

i really liked "dr. sears' baby book" and a recent fave, "the secrets of the baby whisperer". i think the latter is my favorite book so far-- it's really specific. also, babycenter.com is a good resource, if you're not already on there, for finding out what to expect during labor and after.

Mojo said...

I wished I took a baby class because I attempted natural birth. I personally feel that I wasn't as mentally prepared for the whole "pain issue." As far as epidurals go, I don't think you need to do a lot of classes. Asher came early and I was preparing with my doula. That's one think that is so worth your money, a doula. She's like a birth assistant and mine knew protocol, the layout of the hospital rooms, and prepared me for every step I took during labor. Josh also loved the doula and this is Josh, he's skeptical about every thing, mainly because he was totally out of sorts during labor. I can't say how much I loved my doula. Also, I ended up getting an epidural at 8cm, I just couldn't handle the pain and the doula also assists epidural births. We had to pay out of our pocket for her, but it's worth every penny.

Suzy said...

I also loved the Baby Whisperer book. When I was going insane after Lucas was born I would search that book like it was some kind of scripture. Then I read online that the author was dead and it crushed my heart. In my deranged state I thought somehow she was going to come to my house and make Lucas sleep...
Anyhow, the book was described to me as a nice version of Babywise, which I have never read b/c the doctors and hospital said not to, but I think it has similar principles, but in a nice way.
And I also had an epidural and if I wasn't already married, I would have married my anesthesiologist. I had to get two b/c the fist only shot down half my body, but the second worked. I do have a little spot on my spine that feels like a bruise, but I think it's worth it. I had SO much fun after the drugs. Before the drugs was NOT fun.
Before you push, they unplug your epidural so you can feel a little pressure. Then when they tell you to push, they'll say, "Push like you are going poop. Are you pushing like your going poop?" Then finally, somehow, the little creature comes out.

amanda said...

thanks ladies! that totally helps. i think i do want to watch a video, as gruesome as they are to me, so i know more about the process. i can't remember everything from the high school health class video of the miracle of birth. all i remember is giggling and a gross shot of a woman's baby hole.

Veeda said...

I think everyone should definitely take some sort of class, regardless of the labor you want.

For instance, if you don't know what these words are: Induction, episiotomy, forceps

you should look them up because they are very common in labor.

I had Mei naturally, and for me, it was the best situation. I took a hypnobirthing class that I think was 75 % a waste of time. I for sure got good things out of it, but next time I'm going to try a bradley class.

Like Mo, I also had a doula. Which was the best thing I did, because she was the greatest support.

Oh, and I also really like Dr. Sears too.