Monday, January 07, 2008

I love the NBA...It's Fantastic

So I love NBA basketball. I know I am probably one of the last true remaining fans of the league, but I love it. My favorite team has been the T-Wolves until this last year. Now its the Celtics.







I have no moral dilemma about this. KG was the reason I loved the T-Wolves. I have had to put up with an inept owner and terrible GM for the last 5 years. Yeah they made one run in 2004, but I think things having fallen apart the way they have is only more of an indication of how bad the front office is. If anyone is the real world was as bad at their job as Kevin McHale, they would have been fired a long time ago. So now I love the Celtics, I have watched almost every game and have only watched a few T-Wolves games.

Maybe some of you die hard sports fan disagree with my flippancy, but I view sports in capitalistic terms. Sports franchises are about making money. The reason they (The owners) want to win championships is because it increases the value of their product. So if they are offering me a crappy product, I feel no obligation to pay my hard earned money and/or time in supporting said product.

I know that the T-Wolves are in a rebuilding phase and maybe I should support them while they are in their rebuilding phase, but I think the owner is terrible, the GM is terrible, and the coach is terrible. The only way I have to express these sentiments is by not purchasing, watching, and giving any of my money to the T-Wolves organization.

However, i am writing this blog because my brother got me T-wolves tickets for Christmas. I am faced with the moral dilemma of going with my brother and spending quality brother time together, or sticking with my resolve not to support the organization. He got tickets to three games and one of the games is the return of KG to the Target Center.

I figure he spent the money and I am super stoked to go to that game, not to cheer the T-Wolves, but to cheer KG and the Celtics.

2 comments:

Justin said...

i believe simmons would call it FANNN-tastic, but it's all good.

i just have to say that supporting the jazz through their rebuilding struggles has been very rewarding but i understand with a guy like kevin mchale running the ship. tragic.

but it kind of bothers me to have the jazz being somewhat successful again because the bandwagon fans come out of the woodwork. i would guess it's less of a problem for you because you're not in boston, but it can be quite an issue when a team returns to respectability.

i hate being a die-hard nba fan and having people look at me wierd when i say i can name off the starting 5 of almost every team.

Spencer said...

I dont know a ton about basketball, but haven't the t-wolves been "rebuilding" for 25 years now. The weird thing is did they franchise like 16 years ago.