Friday, March 28, 2008

Podcasting Anyone?

I have found a new favorite thing in the last few weeks. Podcasting. I know that podcasting has been around for a while, but I didn't realize how awesome it was.

At work I usually listen to a mix of music from my Ipod and stream various talk radio shows. However, at work they cut us off from anything that sucks up bandwidth which means that I cannot access any type of streaming. This led me to a dilemma. I have a lot of music on my ipod, but 8 hours a day for a week can make anyone's playlist start to sound a little boring. Most of the talk radio shows I listen to have podcast so I decided to try it out. And I love it! Now i can listen to all my shows, without commercials. Which means that I can actually get in more actual listening time during the day.

The talk shows that I normally listen to are the Denis Prager Show, The Hugh Hewitt show, and some NPR, and some KFAN (A sports radio station we have here in Minnesota). Most of the talk radio I listen to is political and on the conservative side. But I have discovered a few other gems on this podcasting journey.

One podcast i subscribed to is a documentary about climbing Mount Everest (It's a video podcast). National Geographic has a bunch of cool podcasts. But, one of the coolest podcast is an NPR live concerts podcast. You can download a bunch of live concerts from artist such as Iron & Wine, Jose Gonzales, Low, Stars, Wilco, The Arcade Fire, and Nickel Creek. And they are all really awesome and the host usually interviews them. NPR has a bunch of other cool podcast from songs of the day to political commentary. I also subscribe to an advanced notes in Spanish podcast. It is basically 2 people speaking in Spanish for 15 minutes. Its just a nice way to be able to listen to real spanish to help me remember how to understand. Since I like basketball (NBA not college) there are other podcast from various analysts talking about basketball.

On a side note: I could be an NBA analyst. I watch just as much NBA as any of them do and the thing is you never have to be right. You can be wrong 90% of the time and it doesn't matter. I can do that. I could comment on any team in the NBA.

Anyway, I guess my point is that podcasting rules, and if you are stuck at work with nothing to listen to and you have an Ipod, you should try out some podcasting.

Podcast on my friends!

8 comments:

Craig said...

I haven't podcasted yet, but maybe I will after hearing this review. I've always seen it as something that involves far too many steps to stay updated...I guess I'm just being lazy.

Maybe I go search for good podcasts though, cause I do like books on tape.

amanda said...

i haven't done any music podcasts, but you can get great stuff for church and even for school too. i found some cool sites for my class on teaching esl and conversations that i could use with students. it's an awesome resource all around.

amanda said...

Craig, the great thing about podcasting is you find the podcasts you want, subscribe, and then set your itunes to update every day, week or whatever. I set my ipod to sync automatically when I plug it in and to only sync with specific playlists, podcasts, and whatever else I want to automatically sync.I set my podcasts to update every hour. The only part that takes time is finding the podcasts, but that's the fun part. Its like searching for new music, but it's free.

McKelle said...

Hey Faleschinis. It's always good to find some friends in the blogging world. We haven't seen you guys in quite a while. When are you due? I'm with you on your "how did she do it post." I was definitely not one of those girls.Yeah, I hate them. We'll be in MN in May for Jareds graduation. Maybe we'll see you guys then.

pete said...

yes. We'll try. Maybe you will have to come hang out at our house. Amanda is due April 28 so I don't know how mobile we will be in May.

Craig said...

Cool...Since reading this post, I subscribed to a couple of podcasts. I'll have to check it out...

Eva / Sycamore Street Press said...

car talk and this american life from npr are my 2 favorite podcasts. and i don't even like cars!

pete said...

I don't really care about cars either, and yet i still find myself listening to to those guys sometimes. They are very engaging.