Thursday, February 28, 2008

6 things you didn't know about me

i sort of begged to be tagged by suzy, so i hope i make this all worth your while.

1. I witnessed my mom beat down a woman once when I was a young girl. Mind you, my mom is 4'11". This woman was possibly 5'9" or so and beefy. I have an autistic brother, and he used to do these little spastic things with his hands and be super excited all the time. The lady had made an ignorant and rude comment out loud within earshot, and my mom told all the kids to go to the car. We did as we were told, and when we turned around...I saw my mom punch and beat down this woman. I'm sure words were exchanged first, but I remember thinking later "Man, you don't mess with my family!"

2. I once got asked on a date, because I wasn't afraid to hold a tarantula this guy was interested in (I worked in a pet store). He was okay. He didn't believe me that shooting stars weren't stars that just decided they wanted to go shooting off somewhere else in the universe. I laughed until I realized he was serious.

3. I am deathly afraid of being chased. I think that's why I don't like sports where you are in control of something (a ball, for example) and everyone around you is chasing or running behind you to get to what you have. I have chase/stalking nightmares all the time, and I always wake up right before I am killed. For real.

4. I crushed my L3 vertebrae in high school in stupid accident. I almost had to wear a back brace for the rest of my life, but I got lucky and it healed normally enough for me not have to. I still get a little bit of back pain from it, and the doctor did warn I may get arthritis in that part of my back as I get older. Great.

5. My mom tickled me once so hard and for so long that I peed my pants. I kept warning her that I was going to pee my pants, but she didn't believe me. So parents and future parents, if your kid says they are about to pee their pants...please believe them.

6. I've appeared on Craigslist in the men seeking women section before. When I worked at Borders, some guy I helped apparently was crushing on me. He wrote a note to me that I never would have read, if it wasn't for one of the other managers at one of the other Borders stores. She emailed the link to me, and I laughed and got nervous at the same time. And then I wondered how she ever found it.

7 comments:

Veeda said...

Your mom is awesome. Also, the Craigslist thing is crazy!

mrs. everything said...

HaHA I love the craigslist ad. You should post a link, or summarize it

pete said...

Hey stalker, if you are still out there and somehow googled her name and are reading this blog, Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid! I will find you.

Signed,

Amanda's Husband

amanda said...

i don't think the post is up anymore. i remember looking for it again to show it to someone, and it wasn't there anymore. that same manager had found another one about me later, but i don't think it was the same guy.

mrs. everything, i don't remember it word-for-word, but it went something like this:

dear amanda from borders minnetonka. you helped me find a wedding gift for a friend, and you were sweet and cute. it was so nice to meet someone like you, and i felt like there was a connection. was i wrong? please email me and we can chat...or something like that.

honey, i don't think he knows what my last name is. he just knew i was the amanda at borders minnetonka, of which i am no longer. it's funny.

Villero said...

All of your stories are pretty awesome. Your mom sounds like a firecracker, who exploded on some stupid lady. just goes to show that you should keep your thoughts to yourself.

Audrey said...

I had to come and check out a blog of a fellow liker of A Thousand Splendid Suns. I told Spencer I liked it too.
Now as for your mom, you better tell Spencer to be careful how he talks to you.

amanda said...

spencer knows i will/can put him in his place. and i know he just likes to kid.

and yes, i loved "a thousand splendid suns." khaled hosseini is one of my heroes. if spencer had met him and heard him speak, he would feel differently about his books.