Saturday, February 09, 2008

shipping bites the big one

i have scoured the internet for an affordable nursery glider, because i've always wanted a rocking chair/glider. and now i have a good excuse to buy one. however, i have to buy a reasonably-priced one. no $800-1,000 ones from pottery barn or any other website/store that has modern-looking/non-grandma-living-room decor/subtract chenille upholstery gliders in stock. unfortunately.

pete has given me a price range that i promised to stick to, because i am a good wife. so here it is. the one i want:




i didn't include the matching ottoman here, because i ran into a dilemma today. even though this glider is super-cute and on sale on target.com for the combo even, the shipping cost is $175! what?! i was so shocked, i had to call target customer service myself to make sure that was right. no, they don't offer items to be shipped to stores. yes, that is the price of shipping. yes, they may not come on the same day. and yes, you have to sign for the delivery too. umm...i live in target country. this should be outlawed. especially since i buy so much from them, i should not have to endure this outrage.

so...after 2 more hours of searching the internet for something just as cute and within my price range, i am back to square one. what to do, what to do? i think my only option now is to wait and see if this item pops up on a select free shipping sale thingamabob. le sigh...

4 comments:

Sarah BTW said...

sorry, kid. that is a ridiculous amount to pay for shipping. but at the same time, the pickings are slim when it comes to rocker/gliders. good luck.

Suzy said...

Craiglist, craigslist, craigslist! Wal-mart has a ship-to-the-store deal, but I hate Wal-mart... Good luck with the search for the perfect chair. BTW, I kind of wish I had a recliner instead of a glider so I could lean back while I hold Lucas. Sometimes you just want to lay back and fall asleep, too.

Veeda said...

good luck. I wish I had the sofa glider myself. We have a regular wood glider and it's not so fun to sit in after awhile.

Have you tried USA Baby? I recommend it. Lots of great brands for great prices.

pete said...

i haven't yet. as i was grieving over the shipping cost at target, i came across it in my internet search. i may stop by there sometime, but we found a place in minneapolis that actually sells the same brand of gliders. we can pick one that is pretty similar to the one i want, and i can even choose the fabric. i'm gonna cross my fingers that it's everything we're looking for.