Tuesday, June 03, 2008

baby carrier advice?

so i am feeling a little bit more comfortable as a mom and juggling other tasks besides nursing, rocking, burping, and changing a baby. i've been okay with being a homebody the first few weeks, but i believe i am ready to venture out into the world with my lil' izzy.

i want to get a front carrier that's not necessarily a bjorn. something that doesn't look like part of a backpack too. does anyone have any suggestions or advice as to any of these front carriers? pete already has a bjorn that he will use, and he really likes it. but since we are obviously different sizes and heights, i don't want to have to deal with adjusting the bjorn all the time. so i want my own.

i like this one from target.com. the only thing is that i want to try it before i buy it. i hate buying things online and being disappointed later, cuz i hate returning stuff or feeling like i got jipped.



the mei tai style carrier is so rad. they are pretty pricey, but you can get a billion different styles. i might get a knockoff though.



the moby wrap is pretty cool too, but i am reluctant about getting something that requires a lot of assembly. i want to just pop the baby in and go with only a little bit of tying required.



what do you all think?

8 comments:

Becca said...

i used a bjorn with lucy and henry (i've had three different bjorns and liked the active style best). i also had a maya wrap and wasn't crazy about it. most recently, i bought a peanut shell and really, really like it. i wish that i'd had it when henry was little because it is very easy to use; there's no adjusting or wrapping or folding or clipping or snapping and it's easy to fold up and put in a bag. and henry fits in it well, even though he is well over 24 lbs.
xo
becca

Dan said...

I don't have one of those wraps but they look awesome! Dan made me a sling for Mother's Day and I love it. The fabric and rings where super inexpensive, I bet it would be pretty easy to make a maya wrap and cost next to nothing. I'm going to look into it!

McKelle said...

I never used a carrier of any type, so I have no advice, but let me know what you find out because when we get around to having another baby, I think it would be nice to have one.

Mojo said...

I have the Moby, the Bjorn, and the Peanut. Out of all of them, I like the Moby for comfort for me and it's very versatile, but you're right it is a lot of assembly. After several trips to the grocery store I felt like it was way too much to deal with. Around the house it's nice, when you have the room and the space. The Bjorn is what I ended up using the most, because it is easy and hassle free, plus Josh likes using the Bjorn. I know it's not very cute, but when Izzy gets heavier and you have a lot to do, like errands, you forget about looking cute. The Peanut is good until four months, so thumbs down to that one. THe mei tai looks like the perfect marriage between the Bjorn and the Moby. I hope that helps.

Suzy said...

I am so not coordinated enough to figure those things out. It was hard enough for me to use the Bjorn the first time, but after that I loved it... except for the stomach sweat in the Austin heat - mmmm. Thos other ones do look pretty cute, though. I heard somewhere that a sling was better for the baby's hips, but don't know if that is true...Good luck!

alysha said...

all of my friends swear by the ergo baby carrier.

Veeda said...

We have a sling, and various other carriers. After awhile, I realized I am much too lazy and just kept our baby in the baby car seat for the majority of my errand running.

Anonymous said...

Amanda, I know you don't know me, but I was a friend of Petes in College. And i just had a little baby girl. I have to moby, and I really thought that I would like it, but it is alot of work. And as I have heard you are very petite.... It's alot to handle. I am very tall and it was alot to handle for me. I have the bjorn as well and Lily didn't like that until she was older. So I hope this helps. And congradulation on your little one. Very exciting.

Valerie