baby vs. mommy - the bottle war
i know all babies are different, and everyone has/had a way to get their babies to take the bottle. i think i have read or heard a billion different ways to get your baby to transition from the breast to the bottle. i don't want izzy to only drink from the bottle. i plan on still nursing from time-to-time. i just want her to be able to stay with someone else for more than a couple of hours, so i can do more than just be a milk factory. i have to go back to work in a month or so, and i don't want her to cry all day from hunger. i would feel so bad for her and for her caregiver.
anyway, has anyone won this battle with their child? was there anything that you did that helped? any bottles that you used that most simulated a "natural" nipple for the baby? i have the soothie bottle and the playtex drop-ins bottle. i got the soothie, since it is the only brand of pacifier that izzy will tolerate (she's not a fan of binkies in general). i got the playtex one, because it seems a little bit more natural than others.
send any advice you have. i may have heard it all already, but maybe not. i am not backing down in this war, and izzy is going to eventually lose...eventually...
11 comments:
With Kels we did bottle from the very beginning and because of my complications so I nursed and did bottle. We used the Playtex drop ins and I loved them because they were easy to clean and I could use the bags that I stored my milk in. With Bryson, we tried everything!!!! I came to the conclusion that he must've been tongue tied....He could not stick out his tongue or anything and no matter what bottle we tried he couldn't latch to it. The only thing that helped a little was to keep our hand right up to her mouth so she could feel it. Good Luck. Hope this helps.
I unfortunately had the opposite problem. Gwen hated my boobs, so I forced Gwen to nurse for 4 months (and bottle feed), while I cried and felt like the worse mother for even considering stopping (you know those people that make you feel like bottle feeding is the devils way to feed your baby). I eventually dropped the nursing, and was happier that way. Wish I knew how to help. Good luck. Oh, and we really liked Son of Rambow. It was really funny and cute. The boys were dying laughing. We would definitely recommend it.
I obviously have no experience in this area, but fight the good fight, my dear. I know you'll come out on top. Izzy doesn't stand a chance, even if she is cute as hell.
My gal never took to the bottle, but then again I never went back to work so it wasn't as crucial.
I know lots of mom who use Avent bottles and the babies seem to like them just fine.
You'll win, I just know it.
hello you! we did soothie as well because although Madison loved their pacifiers (and only those!), she was terrible at keeping them in her mouth. Here are my suggestions as a mom. Amanda, don't feed her with a bottle, let Pete try. She can smell you, your milk, everything. She knows it's there. Let her try to like it without that complication. And as hard as it is, don't stress, she can sense it!..Here is my note on how to stress less. My advice as an Infant Room Teacher at my Center. She will be fine. Wherever it is you are taking her, she will be fine. Her first few weeks are going to be hard, and exhausting for her (and you, and any other child takign in all of that stimulation). Even if she fights you for the next month, keep letting her try, she will only go hungry for so long. And if she cries, or has a hard time, that is there job to make her feel safe and loved. Take your time, don't stress. (This could all be crap...and you can ignore it all, or it could not work at all ;p, but it is my advice...) You'll come out on top, and it will be very liberating. ANd it will be good for everyone involved in her life because she can bond with dad or grandma too when they get to feed her!
I used Dr. Browns bottles, but I never had a prob w/ Lucas using a bottle. Make Pete try over and over... Good luck!
I have to say, the advice to let someone else try the bottle is good. Henry wouldn't take a bottle until my mom was with him for a while, trying at it. Lucy did very well with switching between nursing and Playtex. Henry did better with the super cheap Gerber bottles. I think he has a smaller mouth and those bottles were easier for him to latch onto because they are smaller. She definitely won't starve. She'll figure it out. Until then-- Hang in there!
Also, with the playtex bottle, try a latex nipple. it's softer and has more of a "skin" feeling.
Asher started taking to the bottle a couple months ago, so good luck.
Luke hated nursing, but loved the bottle. he basically took anything. sorry. I've heard the Dr. Brown bottles are great though!
thanks ladies, this is great advice.
i have had pete giving her the bottle, because i read about her smelling me and getting frustrated. i am also using the latex nipples, since they best resemble a natural feel and are softer than silicone. i may try another bottle, but i think she is slowly getting there. we have noticed she gags a little even on the playtex nipples. i don't know if that is her way of telling us she doesn't want it anymore, or if the actual nipple is too long. i guess i will keep trying. i think i will utilize my visiting teachers too, since they may have more experience with this than me.
thanks again everyone!
Post a Comment