Friday, July 25, 2008

name game

i just read a post from another friend's blog about picking baby names. i was curious to see what their friends were advising them to name their next baby girl. no offense to their friends, but what in the world?!

dakoda? where's the "t"?
braelyn? i don't know what that stems from, but it sort of makes me gag.
sequoya? i'm not sure where they went to school, but that is not how you spell sequoia. and i thought that was a name of a tree and a native american tribe...not a baby.

anyway, i think i am sort of being a brat about this. but, whatever. i know my baby's name is not common, but at least she won't have a hard time telling people how her name "should" be spelled. well...the first name at least.

**oh, i forgot to mention this part too. what is up with those jerk face parents who named their kid "talula does the hula from hawaii?" for real. that was the kid's name. thankfully, a judge had the decency to claim the child a ward of the state or whatever until the parents changed the kid's name to something less retarded.

***oh yeah. one more thing. quit naming kids after lord of the rings characters. it's not cute. it's creepy. you are only giving your kid an excuse to be weird and pasty and only reading manga in a corner of the lunchroom while other kids throw french fries in their hair.

15 comments:

Running Chick Mis said...

I think those names are really bad, do those people not remember what it is like to be in elementary school!
As someone who has a name that rhymes with a swear word think long and hard about what sort of tag you are placing on your child.

Since I am on my soapbox, what is it with making up any sort of spelling you want. A friend of a friend has a little boy named Colin , but it is spelled KOLN! WTF?!
I understand that we all want our kids to be individuals, but being known as the kid with the whacked up name is not the way to do it.

OK I will step off the soap box.

The Human Fund said...

I've noticed a tendency of parents to give their kids weird-ass names and then, on top of that, to spell them in an f-ed up manner. I don't get it. It's like, hey, "Let's use our kid as a blank canvas for our own personal 'statement' to the world! Maybe the kid WON'T grow up hating us and hopefully he won't kill us later, either!"

So messed up. I mean, I feel bad already for Emma and she's not even born because of her last name--Lemieux. We get all kinds of strange pronunciations on that (I'm sure you do, too). We get: Le-moe, Le-mucks, and Le-mocks, just to name a few. I understand that it's a foreign last name, blah, blah, blah, but still, it will be rough for her. But not NEARLY as rough as it would be being named Jewels or Kandee or Raechyl.

Are parents afraid their child won't be individual enough or something?

Suzy said...

lame. check this out: http://seriouslysoblessed.blogspot.com/2008/07/here-ya-go.html

amanda said...

suzy, that post was seriously so vomit-tastic. i feel really sorry for their kids. they're probably groaning on their way out the birth canal..."oh man!"

don't get me wrong everybody. i do like unique names, but there definitely has to be some thought put into the child's future...and possible beatings by other kids.

Krista said...

i'm with you on the weird/weird spelling of these poor babies names. i was just at my 10 year HS reunion last week and a friend of mine actually named her little girl "maybe". who knows, "maybe" they didn't want to have kids... aahhhh! too many jokes. i feel bad for her.

Krista said...

suzy - and others... you do know that "seriously, so blessed" is written by a guy right???

amanda said...

maybe they liked the show "arrested development" and thought it would pay homage to that character. or...not?

and what is up with that site "seriously, so blessed?" i thought it was for real and was really disturbed until you said it was written by a guy. genius. he captured the lifestyle really well.

Suzy said...

yeah. it's totally a joke. i had a feeling it was written by a dude. i love how he makes fun of the utah accent, misspellings and everything. it's great.

Running Chick Mis said...

OK, the more you dig into this the more whacked-up it gets! I found this list of celebrity baby names on infoplease.com. (celebrity is a stretch for some) I included a few of more whacked ones

Arthur Ashe (Tennis Player) Camera(girl)

Bob Geldof & Paula Yates Musician (Mr LiveAid) Fifi Trixibelle (daughter)
Peaches Honeyblossom (daughter)
Little Pixie (daughter)

Rachel Griffiths / Andrew Taylor Actress Banjo Patrick (son)

Michael Hutchence / Paula Yates Musician Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lily (daughter)

Milla Jovovich / Paul Anderson Actress / Director Ever Gabo (daughter)

Rob Morrow / Debbon Ayer Actor / Actress Tu Simone Ayer (daughter)

Note: As in, Tu Morrow. (Now that is F*#%"d up!)

Quite frankly this is the tip of the iceberg! Some of these names make Dweezil and Moon Unit look normal!

The Human Fund said...

Yeah, I mean get a pet and name it after some character, you know? Isn't THAT the normal thing to do?

McBride Family said...

i think you just described the majority of the waldenbooks regulars...or what their children will be if they ever reproduce...yowza!

Eva / Sycamore Street Press said...

i saw a name the other day... and this is a real person.. i had proof: icy frost.

Eva / Sycamore Street Press said...

oh, and that same day, i saw a guy with the middle name "greasy"

Susan said...

SSB is a woman, LDS, a returned missionary and a mother, check out her press. Sorry, I stalked you from SSB and Spencer and Breckan. I'm old but I enjoy blogging and the blogging world. What about the Name Rodeo or Ima Cowgirl. I know a little girl named Rio. What if she big will she get called Rio Grande? All tru names.

Susan said...

What if she is?